Have you been experiencing intense moods as a result of the events that occur in your life? If yes, then there are chances you are suffering from mood swings.
What exactly is mood swings? it refer to extreme or rapid changes in one’s mood. It is a prevailing state of mind that can vary from minor mood changes to significant mood changes, in an individual’s day-to-day life. The emotional state of mind is mostly common in women, though it can occur in men as well. it can be a symptom of a mood disorder such as chronic depression, particularly when it become problematic.
What exactly causes mood swings?
There isn’t a single known cause of it, thanks to the fact that several things can trigger the onset of this condition ranging from drug abuse, unhealthy diet to lifestyle changes. Here are some of the common causes of it.
· Stress -People who undergo prolonged periods of stress are highly vulnerable to mood swings. When we are subjected to continuous stress in our daily lives, we can end up experiencing intense moods in reaction to the events that make us feel stressed. Undergoing prolonged periods of chronic stress can also lead to intense mood swings over time.
· Changes in brain chemistry-Having abnormal levels of neurotransmitters such as serotonin in the brain has also been attributed to mood swings and other forms of mood disorders. Even a slight imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain could result in intense mood changes, anxiety, stress and depression.
· Bipolar disorder-Persons with bipolar disorder are highly vulnerable to mood swings, thanks to the fact that they experience intense mood while reacting to any prevailing situation. Moreover, they find it difficult to adjust their moods to suit the prevailing situations appropriately.
· Drugs and alcohol abuse- alcohol and other drugs such as cocaine are a major cause of mood swings in men and women alike. Drugs have been known to alter the brain chemistry, hence making one vulnerable to it. They can also lead to dramatic swings in mood and extreme reactions to external events.
· Unhealthy diet- consuming excess sugar can lead to fluctuations in blood sugar levels, which is also known to be a leading cause of mood changes
What are some of the symptoms of it?
Here are some of the common symptoms of it that you should always be on the lookout if you suspect you are experiencing this destructive emotional state of mind.
· Irritability and feelings of agitation
· Lack of sleep
While there might not be a known cure for it, there are however some treatment options that can help alleviate this emotional state of mind. They include-
· Therapy-Therapy, such as cognitive behavioral therapy can be used to combat the causes of it. Therapy entails using techniques such as vicarious distractions and exercises to break intense mood swings. Therapy can include counseling as well.
· Medications -Some medications such as anticonvulsants can be used for treating it in severe cases. Antidepressant medications can also be used to treat it where changes of chemical imbalances are suspected.
You can also overcome mood swings by consuming a healthy diet, exercising regularly and limiting or avoiding drugs and alcohol abuse. More importantly, you can combat this condition by learning about stress management and how to deal with some of the life stressors that could be exposing you to mood changes
Mood swings can be destructive like any other mood disorders. Mood swings can also adversely affect your quality of life if left unattended. It is therefore imperative to seek help from your doctor if you are experiencing this mood disorder before the situation gets out of control.